Tuesday 10 August 2010

Week 2 PicApp

So.... I am still waiting for the PicApp application to look for my rather obscure keyword search... Umm, maybe I should try something more "normal" like "cat"...So when I type "cats" most of the images are cat scans! :P The first animal photo I encounter is that of a close up of a cat's mite infested ear! .. Go figure!

I finally found an image that I like... It's of 2 friends hanging out at the library. 

Girls sitting in library





It is interesting to read the About Us bit of the PiccApp website...And I quote:

Picapp is all about more opportunities and choices:
Where You-- the publisher get access to millions of premium, legal images, updated by the minute and can use them in your posts- for free!
Where You-- content owner enjoys this innovative yet monitored distribution channel to reach new users and increase revenue
Where You-- advertiser reaches targeted, well segmented audience and access to premium ad inventory
A true Win-Win.



It could be a great resource for Manukau libraries to draw on for our websites and blogs and stuff. And to attract a specific customer base, cos the photos supposed to have "the right meta-data to assist search engines index the images and your posts better".
 
 If you are looking for something basic and simple, it is that, just a copy and paste type of thing. One frustrating thing is that I can't format it the way I want, can't do text wrapping on Blogger. Maybe if I was using Wordpress I would have more freedom with photo placement etc? I also had trouble with browsing the site, it was going rather slowly and subsequent pages of pix refused to load, which made me tempted to give up altogether!!

So it was a bit of a mixed bag for me... I lik the free and legal aspects of it, but I lament that the formatting options are limited (maybe it's just my blog?) and that the site tendeth towards lethargy! (sooooooooo sloooooooooww!) So am not sure I will recommend it to that many people to be honest!










1 comment:

  1. I like the way you phrase that: tended toward lethargy LOL I have mixed feelings myself about PicApp. Yes, the images are free and legal and current (esp if you're looking for current & news-related images, e.g. FIFA) but searching them is not the greatest or the easiest or the most logical o_O Very good post!

    ReplyDelete