Friday 7 May 2010

How tweet... err...

I signed up for Twitter a few months ago, but only posted my first tweet yesterday... about me being at home sick.. bleaahh!

Twitter is an interesting and quick way to share information and stay in touch. Historically as I understand it, twitter is about microblogging and social networking, and mostly used by people through text messaging. (haven't signed up for that.. yet!!  Or added the app. that allows me to repost my Facebook status updates as tweets! ) So after I blog about twitter,  should I tweet about my blog?!

Interesting to consider how Twitter has changed our view of the public/private sphere. Now it's OK, even desirable, to inform the entire www (read whoever is following you, and yes, I have Followers!!) that you are having a dull morning, you just burnt your toast, or your goldfish died or whatever... just because! Random info for randomness sake??

But hang on guys....  do we really want others to know what we are doing, moment by moment, hour by hour, day by day?? I am not sure I want to all the time... And are we REALLY staying "in touch" with each other by tweeting? And how the heck do you know that the tweet you are reading from your mate is REALLY from your mate? Do applications like twitter make us more, or less human? Interesting questions...

Having said that I m open to exploring it more, and especially following tweets of interest.

I leave you with an amusing Twitter video... Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Funny video! I didn't want to comment on your post until I'd watched it which meant having to wait until I was near a learn.net pc :)

    Twitter is well, it's a funny little tool, and the kind of experience ppl have in it is all down to them. That is to say, it's all about what types of tweeps you follow - if the mundane type of tweeter isn't for you then stay faaaar away from that kind. If authors are more your bent then there's certainly tonnes of those out there etc. I love to chat and, more often than not, find that even those who tweet about what they're doing provide endless amusement (in the form of links, 'did you knows,' facts, trivia etc. That's a fabulous question you ask: Does Twitter make us more or less human? I think the answer is YES. To both. This is a fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete