Monday 19 April 2010

OK, blog time...

So.. this is the 3rd or 4th blog that I have attempted to start up... and hey it's actually a WORK one! So I can have fun and map my mind on virtual paper and get paid for it! Pretty cool to me! :) It might even compell me to resurrect my other blogs!


I would consider myself a seasonal blogger. If there is something worth saying I decide to write about it. I am more active on Facebook than anything else these days, if not to read what my many friends in far flung places around the world are up to (and to return the favour by updating my status) then to check in to my Playfish games, where numerous godkids, neices, nephews and mates are involved in the fun virtual community of growing and feeding their pets, or planting and harvesting crops, or dabbling in the F & B industry (one of the more competititive players on Restaurant City happens to be my hubby!!) and so on and so forth!! There are many ways to waste time and call it social networking!


But I digress... we are talking about the real world, and about blogging.


So this blogging season of mine is part of the  Web 2.0 programme which is a kind of appetiser to what the WORLD WIDE WEB offers, and what we as library staff are supposed to have at our fingertips, and week 1 is about blogging.

So what shall I blog about??

Since libraries are about information exchange and sharing new ideas (or old ideas in a new way!), I thought I might blog regularly about interesting sites and links that I find while trawling the web for some new curiosity... I will also add the odd idea or random thought floating in my head from time to time.

To start off with, I found  THIS interesting link listing 70 stats about bloggers (eg. 2/3 of bloggers are male!) It's food for thought, and I can't help but wonder where in the stats I might fit.  I am not sure if I will be the one in five who will update their blog daily, but maybe weekly will be a more realistic target. Or maybe I am secretly among the 35% of bloggers who say they will one day publish a book!

I will end off with a random thought about bookcases. Our friends who own like a million books just got some nice old rimu bookcases from Trademe, and they were used last century to shelve library books in Waitakere somewhere, I forget which library exactly! I thought how cool is that (I realise though, that not all of you would think this is exciting!) Now I haven't actually put that thought into action and gone onto TM to look for any. Many of our books are sitting in neat piles on the floor, or packed away in boxes to be savoured another day. (some of my most beloved books are sitting in boxes in my family home thousands of miles away waiting for me to retrieve them!) And I intend to look for some old library furniture to lovingly display these tomes.

Sometime. Someday.

Anyone know where I can get a good bargain? :)


1 comment:

  1. Hi de hi - funny post! I especially liked the link about the how and why of bloggers. In particular, the motivational factors and what they think of twitter. Can't wait to see what else you come up with while finishing the exercises :)

    ReplyDelete